Friday, December 24, 2010

STAN LEE WEEK: Stan Lee video "How to Draw Comics the Marvel Way"

With Christmas Eve and Christmas Day upon us, I haven't had too much time to make a longer post, but I think this video clip will actually be a good lead in to my next post for STAN LEE WEEK.  

Back in the late 1970s, Marvel published this book:



"HOW TO DRAW COMICS THE MARVEL WAY" was a big deal to many Marvel fans, and young artists. A book by Stan Lee and Marvel Comics artist John Buscema on how to draw comics like the ones published by Marvel?! I got my copy around 1980 or so, and this opened my eyes to how the comics I loved to read were actually created.

Like the book I reviewed in my previous post, "ORIGINS OF MARVEL COMICS", this drawing book was another principal factor in really setting me on the path to inspiring me to make my own comics.

In the late 1980s, Stan and John actually performed a reading of the material for a videotape (remember those?!) version of their landmark book. Here's a link to Pt. 1 of the series via YouTube. (The embedding feature has been turned off, sorry). Take a look at it, and in my next post I'll go into more depth on the actual book, and how it appealed to me as a kid.

Thanks to the folks who've been letting me know how much they've been enjoying this series of Stan Lee related posts. I'm glad the material has been appealing. And for anyone who actually gave a copy of  "HOW TO DRAW COMICS THE MARVEL WAY"  book for somebody's Christmas gift, you've just earned a No-Prize!

Have a great Christmas, and see you back here for more Stan Lee Week!

No comments: